PASAY CITY, Philippines – Paul Kiem of the United States wins the Championships Event in the Asian Poker Tour (APT) 2022 Philippines in record-breaking fashion, needing only one hand to be dealt in the Heads-Up duel against William Teoh of Malaysia to collect the top prize of PhP4,196,300 (US$74,008) besting a field of 236 entries at the Grand Wing Casino, Newport World Resorts here.
Kiem, whose older brother Peter is a veteran on the tour, came into the Heads-Up encounter for the title with a stack of 8.6 million after busting out third placer James Mendoza of the Philippines. Prior to that he was in a huge hand against Teoh wherein which he almost leveled the chip-counts.
Before coming over on the prodding of Peter, Paul had a few cashes in Los Angeles and Las Vegas but none anywhere close to the significance of this haul.
Teoh, on the other hand, lands his second runner-up finish in the Championships Event as also feel short against eventual titlist Dave “Spade” Erquiaga last September.
Making it to two straight Heads-Up showdowns, though, is more than impressive for the young Malaysian whose aggressive brand of play has made him among the most feared competitor in the field.
Teoh collected PhP2,797,700 (US$49,342) for his amazing effort while Mendoza got PhP1,944,900 (US$34,302) for his third place finish.
Here are complete payouts of the Final 8 in the Championships Event:
- Paul Kiem (USA) – PhP4,196,300 (US$74,008)
- William Teoh (MAS) – PhP2,797,700 (US$49,342)
- James Mendoza (PHI) – PhP1,944,900 (US$34,302)
- William Fasano (ENG) – PhP1,404,800 (US$24,776)
- Renniel Galvez (PHI) – PhP1,050,000 (US$18,519)
- Bell Perez (PHI) – PhP810,800 (US$14,300)
- Li Lok Ching (AUS) – PhP643,800 (US$11,354)
- Jose Drilon (PHI) – PhP524,600 (US$9,252)